Ashby Historical Commission
The fire engine "Watatic" is back in its old home at the Old Engine House. This "hand tub", as it was known, was horse drawn. The pump is operated by raising and lowering the long bars on each side. It took about 20 men to operate the pump, a fire captain to oversee the pumping operation, a man to keep the intake hose clear of debris and 2 fire fighters on the nozzle of the the hose.
The Watatic was probably built between 1870 and 1880.
The fire engine in the back is the "Samuel Gates". It was operated in the same manner as the Watatic. Being a lighter engine than the Watatic, it was pulled to the fire by the firemen. Note the rope on a spool at the front of the engine for this purpose.