Voter Registration

Register to Vote | Absentee Voting | Vote by Mail | Enrolling in a Party

Register to Vote

Any resident age 18 or older on election day may register to vote. You must register at least 10 days before an election or Town Meeting (annual or special) to vote in that election.

  • You can register to vote in person at; Ashby Town Clerk, 895 Main St. Ashby, MA
  • You can register to vote online at the Massachusetts Secretary of State’s website.
  • You can register to vote by mail. Pick up an application at the Ashby Town Clerk’s office, have it mailed to you by calling 978-386-2424 x10 or email the Town Clerk with “vote” in the subject line and your name and address in the body.

If you are registering to vote for the first time you will need identification. Acceptable identification must include your name and the address at which you are registering to vote. Examples: a current and valid driver’s license, photo identification, current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, government check, or other government document showing your name and address. If you send in a copy of your identification with your mail-in voter registration application, it may not be returned to you.

You only need to register to vote once. You do not need to register to vote each time you renew your license.

Absentee Voting

You may vote by absentee ballot if you:

  • will be absent from your city or town on election day, and/or
  • have a physical disability that prevents your voting at the polling place, and/or
  • cannot vote at the polls due to religious beliefs.

You must apply for an absentee ballot or request that the application and ballot be mailed to you. The deadline for applying for an absentee ballot is noon of the day before the election. You may apply during regular office hours or by mail.

Apply in writing to the Town Clerk and include your:

An application form available at the Town Clerk’s office or by downloading the application above. You may request an application by calling 978-386-2424 x10. You may also make application by letter or note. You may apply for an absentee ballot and vote at the Town Clerk’s office up until noon of the day before the election. If you vote by mail, make certain the application arrives at your local election office early. Remember, the ballot will be mailed to you. You may mail or hand-deliver it back to the election office but it must arrive before the close of the polls on election day.

Vote By Mail In All Elections

Massachusetts voters now have the option to vote early by mail in ALL elections, with no excuse required. To request your Vote by Mail ballot, submit a signed application to the Town Clerk’s office.

You can find more information about mail-in voting and absentee ballot eligibility at

Your Party Enrollment as a Voter

There are 2 political parties in Massachusetts

  • Democratic Party (D)
  • Republican Party (R)

If you enroll in any of these parties you may vote only in that party’s primary. Enrollment in a political party does not affect your right to vote in the general election. In a general election all voters receive the same ballot and vote for the candidate of their choice regardless of party enrollment.


If you do not wish to enroll in a party, check the box next to “no party or designation” or “unenrolled” on the registration form. If you do not enroll in a party, you may choose any party ballot you wish at the state primaries and still remain unenrolled.


In addition to the two political parties listed above, there are certain legal political designations in which you can enroll. Currently these are:

  • America First Party
  • American Independent Party
  • American Term Limits
  • Conservative Party
  • Constitution Party
  • Green-Rainbow Party
  • Interdependent 3rd Party
  • Latino-Vote Party
  • Libertarian Party
  • Massachusetts Independent Party
  • Natural Law Party
  • New Alliance Party
  • New World Council
  • Pirate
  • Pizza Party
  • Prohibition Party
  • Rainbow Coalition
  • Reform Party
  • Socialist
  • Twelve Visions Party
  • Timesizing Not Downsizing
  • United Independent Party
  • Veterans Party America
  • We The People
  • Working Families
  • World Citizens Party

If you enroll in any political designation you may not vote in any state or presidential primary.


Once you make an enrollment choice you may change your enrollment status by notifying your local election official in writing at least 20 days before an election. In Ashby please notify the Town Clerk’s office.

Back To Top